Also known as the “Damask Rose” plant, rose petals are extraordinary. They have a plethora of uses in addition to their mesmerizing scent and rejuvenating qualities.
Of course there are many different species of roses such as Rosa Gallica and Rosa Moschata but they all have the same qualities.
- Repairs & Heals: The Rosehip Oil was used in ancient times by Egyptians, Mayans and Native Americans because of their amazing healing properties when applied externally. It not only protects the skin but it also increases cell turnover because of vitamins E, C, D, B-carotene and A. Moreover, it is rich in fatty acids, and we all know how wonderful those are on your skin. In addition to Rosehip oil, there are Rose Otto Essential Oil (a highly concentrated yet light oil, few drops does the trick!) and Rose Absolute Oil(a thick, expensive and potent extract which can be used in baths, for cramps and for its strong fragrance). [Nutshell: Corrects dark spots, reduces scars and fine lines, hydrates dry skin] Body Shop’s Oils of Life (Intensely Revitalising Facial Oil) is a great example of an oil which uses three precious seed oils including Black Cumin Camellia and Rosehip which are all great for anti-ageing! (Note: this is something that can be used by anyone because it works on maintaining skin elasticity so it isn’t actually an anti-aging product!)
- Skin Soother: The smell, the cooling effect and the anti-inflammatory is beneficial for everyone! Try the Rose Masks at and by Sephora!
- Skin Toner: There is a reason for the obsession people have of rose water (hydrosol). There are so many benefits to rose water. It’s relaxing, maintains pH, controls excess oil, anti-inflammatory properties, hydration, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, cleans out pores, helps keep wrinkles and fine lines at bay! These are available mostly everywhere, at sephora you can try Fresh’s Rose Floral Toner always try to buy fresh and natural! It’s also easy to make yourself, just click here!
- Antidepressant properties: Or so it has been thought to be for centuries, the essence of roses have often lead to uplifting spirits. I often use the Body Shop’s British Rose Petal-Soft Bath Foam, although the clean up is incredibly frustrating, it’s so worth the smell during and the soft skin after! Using Rose Absolute Oil is also very common for stress and anxiety relief as well as menstrual cramps! (Note: must be in a diluted form.)
- Done showering? Great, take a cup of rose water as a final rinse!